Thursday, November 02, 2006

To My Parents

This blog is dedicated to my parents.



They are in my thoughts right now and my heart cries out for them. I feel a sense of sadness, probably the same sadness they are feeling at this moment. I had just finished talking to my Mom on the phone about one of the hardest decisions that they will have to face tomorrow. You see, my parents have sacrificed 5 years of their lives to take care of my Grampa. Instead of putting him in a home, they decided to take care of him at home. With this came the hard work, frustration, and stress of taking care of someone you love and seeing him not able to care for himself. Don't get me wrong, taking care of my Grampa brought love and happiness as well but it was hard work! I won't get into the details but we see this everytime we go and visit. It is like taking care of a baby but only this time, bigger and older.

Tomorrow, my parents are driving him to the Ponoka Hospital Care Centre where he will be staying semi-permanently until they find an opening at the home care in Wetaskiwin. It is a very tough thing to go through. I'm sure I will be going through that with my parents and Micah will with us. I just can't imagine that far ahead right now. My Mom was saying that they only need one luggage full of clothes and the necessities for my Grampa to use (not even his favorate chair or any kind of jewelry) That made me realize that 'things' really do not matter when the time comes.

Bill, my heart goes out to you. You have been such a wonderful Dad to us. I know how much you love your dad and I know how this is going to be one of the hardest things you will ever have to face. Keep in mind that you both do have to live your lives too! You have sacrificed long enough and I think it's time to move on.

Please be strong. You are the best parents in the world!

I love you guys!

K

No comments: